Metacognition is an excellent phrase! It merely means ‘desirous about considering’.
In grownup language we use metacognitive phrases and phrases on a regular basis, like “What do you suppose…?” or “Think about…”, “I suppose…”, “What if…?”
The extra consciousness now we have about any topic, the extra probably we’re to know it higher. This is applicable to considering and phrases.
Initially, when kids be taught to speak, they’re mainly working at a trigger and impact stage – they do or say one thing and because of this one thing else occurs. As kids be taught to speak they may practise by self-talking their play out loud.
However as they get older, phrases develop into increasingly concerned within the considering course of. Ultimately they’re able to use phrases mentally to work their method by means of complicated considering processes. Some analysis helps the concept considering helps to develop language expertise.
By the point kids end main faculty they want to have the ability to take into consideration the that means of phrases and language, and to have some consciousness of the considering course of. Should you educate your baby from an early age to take into consideration considering, you possibly can improve this course of.
As a Speech Pathologist, I discover that I’m able to enhance kids’s language expertise by elevating their consciousness about metacognition.
My prime ideas for serving to kids develop good Metacognition expertise embrace:
- Speaking in regards to the etymology of phrases – the place phrases come from. This helps to clarify bizarre spelling, when kids perceive that phrases come from totally different languages. So many alternative languages have influenced English at numerous instances in historical past.
- Speaking about new phrases in our language, reminiscent of phrases for meals from different international locations (eg sushi), or phrases concocted for brand new know-how (eg megabytes).
- On the lookout for homophones – phrases that sound the identical however have totally different meanings (eg eight and ate). It’s enjoyable to seek out them and necessary for youngsters to know which one is which and learn how to spell them. Many, many homophones are day by day phrases.
- Ensuring kids perceive non-literal language, when individuals say one thing that isn’t precisely what they imply. This consists of idioms (eg “You drive me up the wall!”) You may have enjoyable searching for these in every-day language and imagining what would occur if the phrase was literal. Ensure they perceive sarcasm, too.
- Introducing your baby to poetry filled with metaphors. Present how splendidly phrases can say extra than simply phrases by conjuring up footage in your thoughts. Encourage them to write down their very own poems.
- Guaranteeing that your baby understands tone of voice. Discuss what a distinction tone of voice could make. Strive saying the identical phrase in several tones of voice, to match totally different feelings.
English is a language wealthy in phrases used to explain considering. It’s a language that’s vibrant and dynamic, and rising each day. A love for the intricacies of phrases and language is likely one of the most treasured items we can provide our youngsters.
And by encouraging their metalinguistic improvement, we assist to enhance their speaking, writing and considering expertise within the course of.