I’ve received a Suzuki VX800 motorbike, and like many older single headlight bikes, the sunshine output on each dipped or important beam is poor. The low output limits seen distance at night time, and so limits pace, and in addition signifies that the blinding impact of oncoming automobiles is extra pronounced.
I selected an Osram Night time Breaker +90% bulb with a H4 becoming appropriate for the bike. These bulbs declare to offer 90% extra gentle output, however nonetheless match into the usual becoming, and draw the traditional 60/55 watts. Because of this they’re a direct alternative to the prevailing customary headlight bulb. I did take into account upgrading to a Xenon HID headlight, however a correct improve equipment prices significantly extra, and requires including a ballast unit and modifying the bulb wiring.
Becoming the brand new Osram Night time Breaker Headlight Bulb
The method for changing the bulb is precisely the identical as for many single lamp ‘bare’ bikes. Here is a fast abstract:
- First job was making an attempt to get into the Osram Night time Breaker packaging! Take away all of the paper cowl, press on the highest of the case to unclip it, after which slowly work the entrance half and again half aside. They’re held collectively by tabs on the prime and backside, and take slightly power to get aside.
- Unscrew the headlight unit retaining screws – on this bike, they’re on the perimeters of the headlight unit. The screws can corrode, by which case apply some penetrating oil and look forward to 10 minutes to forestall you rounding the heads off. Take care to not alter the smaller screw on the entrance. That is used to regulate the angle of the beam to forestall dazzling oncoming site visitors. As soon as unscrewed, the headlight unit will pull ahead out of the rear cowl.
- Disconnect the ability cables to the headlight bulb, and the parking gentle bulb. As soon as that is finished, you may take away the rubber waterproofing cowl, and unscrew the retaining ring by turning anticlockwise by a small quantity.
- Now take away the prevailing bulb and substitute with the Osram Night time Breaker +90%. Take care to not contact any a part of the glass together with your fingers, as filth or oil may cause the bulb to overheat and presumably shatter. The H4 bulb will solely go in a method spherical to make sure the dipped and important beam works appropriately.
- Substitute is the alternative of removing. Place the retaining ring again on to the becoming and switch a small quantity clockwise to lock into place. Exchange the rubber waterproofing cowl, and guarantee a detailed match to the headlamp physique. Take the unit again to the bike and reconnect the headlight and parking gentle energy connectors. Put the headlight unit again into the rear cowl, making certain the screw holes line up. Exchange the retaining screws, taking care to not over-tighten them.
Now for the second of fact: is the additional price for the Osram Night time Breaker +90% bulb value it? I am unable to present photographs right here, however I took earlier than and after images. In each circumstances, the digital camera was locked to the identical settings (1/five hundredth at F4) in order that I might evaluate the sunshine output. There does appear to be a substantial improve in gentle output. Yay!
In follow, using by means of Dorset countryside on a darkish night time, the brand new bulb offers significantly higher visibility at lengthy vary, giving reflections from highway indicators and cats eyes for an enormous distance on straight roads. Even on dipped beam, the additional gentle offers higher visibility of the highway floor forward when going through oncoming site visitors. No-one flashed me or in any other case indicated that the brand new lights have been blinding them, so the beam sample has not been affected.
On important beam, it is a lot simpler to see additional into corners. The sunshine is brighter and whiter, which permits for extra scatter, so even objects not within the direct path are extra seen. For a value of £17.50 for a pair of bulbs from AutobulbsDirect (I saved one as a spare), this must be essentially the most cost-effective improve I’ve made!