Microsoft System Configuration utility or MSCONFIG has been a really useful utility in virtually all of Microsoft’s working techniques. MSCONFIG parameters offer you plenty of choices when making an attempt to troubleshoot your laptop or detecting an error.
Its primary interface comprises tabs that offers the customers choices to selectively and non-permanently alter a number of startup parameters. Common tab on MSCONFIG permits you to have primary choices for beginning your laptop. Three setting are included on this sort together with the default which is the Regular Startup sort, and the opposite two that are the Diagnostic Startup and the Selective Startup.
The System.ini and Win.ini have been included for legacy compatibility functions and there’s a little or no likelihood that you’ll be utilizing them.
The Boot.ini permits you to select from a number of choices on the way you wish to begin your laptop. It’s possible you’ll select in addition in SafeMode, or if you happen to want entry to the community, you might select in addition utilizing SafeMode with Networking. Additionally it is beneficial to not attempt or try to make use of MSCONFIG to edit Boot.ini except you might be directed by a Microsoft assist skilled or a technician to take action. Probably the most useful features of the Boot.ini are defined under. You possibly can select to make use of any of those features for troubleshooting functions:
• /SAFEBOOT – suboptions for beginning your laptop
• /SAFEBOOT with MINIMAL – your laptop will begin in SafeMode
• /SAFEBOOT with NETWORK – your laptop begins in SafeMode with Networking assist
It additionally contains different choices such because the:
• /SAFEBOOT with NETWORK – hundreds a generic TCP/IP community configuration
• /SAFEBOOT with DSREPAIR – restore Listing Providers and Area Controllers
• /SAFEBOOT with MINIMAL (ALTERNATE SHEL) – permits you to begin your laptop in SafeMode with Command Immediate
• /NOGUIBOOT – this lets you begin your laptop with out the VGA video driver
• /BOOTLOG – helps you debug and troubleshoot startup issues in your Home windows
• /BASEVIDEO – makes use of a normal VGA video driver while you startup your laptop
• /SOS – shows the driving force names when loaded.
It additionally has an Superior Choices display screen which supplies you extra selections for beginning your laptop, together with the next:
• /MAXMEM – if you happen to assume your laptop has a nasty reminiscence chip, you should utilize this change in order that the quantity of reminiscence that Home windows XP can use shall be restricted
• /NUMPROC – it limits the variety of processors used when you find yourself in a multiprocessor system
• /PCILOCK – permits your laptop to make use of the BIOS configuration for assigning system sources to PCI units.
• /DEBUG – permits you to begin your laptop in debugging mode.
• /DEBUG with /DEBUGPORT -specifies the communications port for use
• /DEBUG with /BAUDRATE – species the baud fee for use
• /DEBUG with /CHANNEL – specifies the 1394 communications channel.
The Service Tab offers you the choice to disable and allow companies that hundreds together with your laptop throughout startup. That is very helpful when making an attempt to troubleshoot service-related errors or issues.
The Begin Tab alternatively permits you to forestall gadgets from loading while you log in to Home windows. You possibly can merely deselect this stuff in order that they won’t begin collectively together with your laptop while you boot it.