Two frequent questions I’m requested round grant writing are:
- Are you able to pay a grant author a share of the grant?
- Can compensation for grant writers be written into the grant?
5 PAYMENT ISSUES
This text contains 5 points associated to paying grant writers to remember in hiring a grant author or being employed as one. Included are paying a fee from the grant and together with charges within the grant itself:
- Bonuses – This will shock you. The American Affiliation of Grant Professionals (AAGP) is knowledgeable affiliation for grant writers. The AAGP code of ethics states that it is “members might settle for performance-based compensation, equivalent to bonuses, offered such bonuses are in accordance with prevailing practices inside the members’ personal organizations and should not primarily based on a share of grant monies.”
- Finder’s Payment – In response to AAGP, a finder’s payment is a “cost made for introducing a nonprofit to a funder and/or contingent upon the nonprofit receiving a grant from that funder.” Not solely is that this unethical for its members, however AAGP states that its members “shall take care to discourage their organizations from making such funds.”
- Fee – A fee is a “flat-rate payment or share paid for companies rendered when a grant is awarded,” says AAGP. AAGP’s ethics say unequivocally “no” to commissions or any type of share compensation. In different phrases, steer clear of commissions or anybody who writes grants for a fee and even encourages it.
- When to Be Paid – One on-line service supplier’s web site says that it requires 50% up entrance, 25% on the first draft and 25% on the ultimate proposal submitted. For my interns, I require the total payment up entrance. The reason being as a result of one small enterprise proprietor as soon as employed an intern to put in writing a grant for considered one of his innovations. The intern did all of the analysis and wrote a draft. The inventor took the intern’s draft and submitted it just about as is. He obtained funded, however by no means paid her a dime. Ouch! Lesson discovered!
- Charges Written Into the Grant – AAGP says, “Compensation shouldn’t be written into grants until allowed by the funder.”
Aside from looking the Web and salary-focused websites, it’s possible you’ll be concerned about testing the newest wage survey of grant professionals performed by the American Affiliation of Grant Professions (AAGP). The 2009 version of the AAGP Wage Survey is accessible to present members.
Finally, the choice about whether or not or to not pay a grant author a share of the grant or from the grant itself lies within the hand of the funder. If a funder permits this, then it’s allowable. If a funder says, “No,” then it is a mute level. You will not get the cash anyway.
If you’re a member of knowledgeable affiliation like AAGP that has moral statements that you simply conform to as a member (that state that you’ll not do one thing like this), you then put your self liable to being expelled in case you do that your self. Remember the fact that how others inside the grant career – regionally and nationally – understand your alternative can have an effect on present and future tasks, too.